learning how to type

Jake is excited about working on his book and kept badgering me yesterday to take dictation. I said I was too busy but he could write it himself if he wanted to. I don't know how to type, he said. I'll show you, I said. I labeled the keys with the proper finger numbers and left him to it.

I was in the kitchen washing dishes when he came in to ask me for help spelling.

Mom, how do you spell wow?

W-O-W.

No, wow.

W-O-W.

Mom, that's not what I'm saying. Wow. Wow. Like when something is happening and you're doing something else.

I have no idea what you're talking about.


Finally he used it in context for me and I realized that he wanted to know how to spell while. Oh, I said, you mean why-ul. He looked at me strangely. That's when it dawned on me (with something of a shock) that actually we don't say why-ul unless we see the word standing alone. We say wahl when linking it with other words. (Which my brain misunderstood as "wow" because "wahl" clearly isn't a word.)

Language is such a funny thing.

Anyway, he ended up with 130 words, and today has been badgering me again -- but this time to get off the computer so he can do some more writing.

Necessity. Means. Desire. This is how it happens.